So I was browsing some blogs this morning while I was suppose to be working (yeah, I work hard) and I came across the meme Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and the Bookish. I figured...looks fun, why not?
This week's Top Ten Tuesday is:
Top Ten Books I Have Lied About
So we all have books that we have lied about. Either we said we liked them and didn't, said we read them and really couldn't be bothered, or said we hate them but they are really our guilty pleasure. For one reason or another...we lie. Here are mine:
1. Lord of the Rings series - Yeah, I lied. When the movies came out, all my friends were obsessed! Getting the books and reading them to prepare for the latest blockbuster series. Did I read them? Seriously??? Have you SEEN how long those books are? Not a chance, although I did enjoy the movies...well, the first time anyway.
2. Harry Potter series - Ok, so this series was not a total lie. I DID read The Half Blooded Prince.
3. Trashy Romance Novels - Every one I can get my hands on. Oh, and by trashy...that includes crazy, hot erotica. Ya, ya, ya I know but seriously...read some. I love it...but only when no one knows I'm reading it. Apparently, in my circle, reading historical romances and paranormal romances is ok...but trashy novels...sacrilege!! Oh well, we all have our guily pleasures ;)
4. Twilight series - Why is it that everyone I know LOVES this series? Not only the books, but the movies as well? Personally, I can't stand them. I read the first book, actually even that's a lie...I read HALF of the first book before I put it down and never thought about it again. Sorry, but my vampires don't sparkle and my heroines are anything but Bella.
5. True Crime - I am addicted to true books. Not just any books though, I like reading about the real tragedies in the world. Helter Skelter? Loved it. A Child Called It? Couldn't read it fast enough. These are the stories I can't always admit to reading because people look at me like I just grew another head. I find the stories intriguing and really, we all watch horror movies...not much different.
6. Goosebumps - Oh how I loved R.L. Stine growing up. So much so, that every now and then I get an urge to relive my youth in the creepy, but kinda corny (now that I'm old enough to realize they are) stories. Shhhh don't tell anyone!
7. Anne of Green Gables - Now, to understand this lie you need to know that I live just a bridge drive away from Prince Edward Island...home to Anne and the stories. This book was like a rite of passage here. Everyone and their dog has read it...but me. I say that I have, sure. Mostly because I don't want people saying "Oh, you should so read that. How is it that you haven't yet?". Look people, I have no interest in the girl with the red braids. I had Pippi Longstocking for that :D
8. Pride & Prejudice - This is one of my most favorite movies of all time, but the book? I think I fell asleep in the first chapter. I may attempt it again, but I don't want the book to ruin the movie for me.
9. Eat, Pray, Love - I DID try this one, in my defense. I just couldn't do it. I know Oprah raved about it and all but to me, it was painful. Did I finish? Nope...but I marked it as read anyway. "A" for Effort?
10. The Scarlet Letter - I wanted to read this actually, I even bought it. The sad part about this book, is that there was so much to do in high school...there just wasn't enough time for reading. So...I faked it. Like you haven't.
So there is my list. Sorry if I rambled on a bit, but I like to talk...or type...or just communicate. Yeah, I'll go with that. In general, I try not to lie about whether or not I actually liked a book. If I lie about finishing it, there is probably a reason and if you asked me about the book...I would simply say I didn't like it. No need for detail (yeah, right...I am the queen of detail).
So what's on your list?